Friday, January 13, 2012

Recent Mary Sightings

During my daily routines, I often come across Mary. Whether she be in the form of a statue, a picture, or even as a tattoo on someone's arm, she is EVERYWHERE.
So let me present pictures of the images of Mary I have come across....

The first picture was taken in my bedroom. The large statue of Our Lady holding the Infant Jesus was given to me recently. A lot of people at the parish know me and know I LOVE statues and religious images. A month or so ago, I stopped by church after classes. I visited the Faith Formation Director, a woman I am good friends with. I sat in her office and looked at the top of one of her bookshelves and saw the statue! I asked her where she got it and she replied that a deceased parishoner's family had given it to her. I took the statue down from the shelve and admired it. She told me I could take it home with me to repair and repaint her. I fell in love with the statue quickly. I asked if it would be possible for me to keep it...and she agreed! The statue is now in my room and I still can't get over how beautiful she is. She is two feet tall and has been repainted...although not very well. Her extended hand is broken and needs to be fixed. In time I plan on repainting her and fixing her hand. I would like to turn her into Our Lady of the Rosary. They don't make statues like her anymore...its such a pity.


And now onto the second picture. This lovely statue of Our Lady of Grace is in St. Isidore Parish Life Center. The Parish Life Center is the old school building at my church. Because it no longer functions as a school, it is now used to house the offices and hold various events. This statue is in the main entryway. She is about three feet tall and absolutely gorgeous. She is actually a replacement for another statue. Originally there was an older statue of Our Lady of Grace in the entryway. She was much loved by a family at my church and when they moved away, my priest gave it to them to take with them. She has one of the most serene faces I have ever seen. My friend and I had just gotten done decorating the building for Christmas. Mary got a few poinsettias and candles and looked festive!


The third picture is of the GORGEOUS statue of Mary at the Carmelite Monastery here in town. The monastery houses fourteen Discalced Carmelite nuns who follow the rules of St. Teresa of Avila. They are cloistered and are rarely seen but their chapel is open to the public. Each Christmas season, they make a beautiful Nativity display. The figures are a little smaller than lifesize and are from Mexico. Each figure besides the Infant Jesus is fully poseable and each wears clothing handmade by the nuns. I have been particularly drawn to the statue of Mary. Her face is so peaceful and so contemplative. Her clothing is perfect and reflects the nuns' love and handiwork. 

I hope you enjoyed them! I plan on posting weekly sharing the different images of Mary I've come across. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh I love this Josh, seeing all the Mary's!! It is like when I was doing the blog event 'A Virgin A Day". I love the 2' statue in your room. I have repaired chalk ware statues two ways. One is by using Spackle since chalk ware is like Sheetrock, and the other - to form a new hand say - is to use sculpey clay. Make the hand bake it, glue it with E6000 glue and paint it.

    Also love your St. Therese picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the advice! I think I am going to use your idea and recreate her hand with sculpey clay.
    The picture of Saint Therese is one of my favorites...it looks almost like a photograph!

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete